You know that feeling, the one where your day becomes instantly superb? Yep, the one that comes whenever you use your student ID to cash in on amazing discounts (and occasionally just straight up free things!) all over the city!
Well, we believe we could all do with a little more happiness in the world, so here’s our list of the top spots to flash your Husky card for routine deals. Keep your eyes peeled for student promotions, but these are savings that never expire:
Everyone knows the MFA gives free admission to Northeastern students, but it’s far from the only museum in town that caters to college kids. All of the below have free or discounted student rates:
- Isabella Stewart Gardner: One of the most eclectic collections on the planet including everything from Rembrandt to Beethoven is squeezed into a mansion built in the style of a Venetian villa. You could spend hours in the courtyard adorned with ancient Greek statues and year-round Mediterranean flora. $5 with a student ID!
- Institute of Contemporary Art: Right on the waterfront, this museum houses exciting and innovative installations and exhibits from global and local artists alike. $10 with a student ID and FREE on Thursday from 5 to 9pm!
- MIT Museum: Head over to Cambridge for exhibits that highlight the relationship between science and art, as well as insights into the modern world such as East Germany in Photographs by Ulrich Wuest. $5 with a student ID!
- The Economist: Get 12 issues for $12 plus a super fancy Economist notebook.
- The New York Times: NYT offers some pretty great bang for your buck, at just $0.99 for the first four weeks and then 50% off the regular rate after that. All online reading and downloads included!
- Cosmopolitan: Most Cosmo content can be found online, and while they don’t have a special student discount for a subscription, they partner with other retailers to offer students amazing deals at dozens of stores. Find them all here: http://www.cosmopolitan.com.au/health-lifestyle/cosmo-campus/2014/2/cosmo-campus-student-discounts/
- Sports Illustrated: Just provide your school information at checkout and get 56 issues for $39.99. That’s 86% cheaper than the price for those poor souls without a college tuition bill!
Really, this category deserves its own blog post. College students live for food, particularly free food, which many of these eateries kindly offer:
- All independent dining locations on campus offer to knock off the sales tax on your order whenever you flash your ID!
- Fire & Ice Eatery: $10.99 all-you-can-eat on Mondays
- 10% off order at participating locations of McDonalds, Burger King, and Subway
We feel your pain, it’s hard to stay fashionable on a student budget! Luckily, these retailers have heard your cries and responded with enthusiasm:
- Banana Republic: 15% off entire purchase
- J.Crew: 15% off entire purchase
- Madewell: 15% off entire purchase
- Toms: free shipping on all shoes!
Fabulous Miscellaneous Deals
- Amazon: Get yourself an Amazon Student Account! In addition to getting free, two-day shipping on all orders, it makes you eligible for various annual scholarships and the fabled Amazon Prime day, which is an amazing chance to buy textbooks at cutthroat prices
- FedEx Office: With a student ID, you get 30% off documents and 20% off shipping services. You might say this sounds more working world, but it’s a leg up in any co-op and could be useful when you forgot your favorite socks back home. Your presentations, resumes, and the giant banner you’re making for your roommate’s birthday will never look better!
- Spotify Premium: Get ad-free access to music on- and offline (with the exception of Taylor Swift) for half the regular price